When purchasing a classic car for potential restoration, a running vehicle poses less of a potential issue than one that doesn’t. Rubber fuel hoses can crack with time, sender units can fail, fuel tanks can become rusty and unused fuel that has sat for long periods of time, can become gummy.
We use and recommend PPC Co. Fuel Tank Repair Kits – the kit is designed to work as a system. The kit will clean, prepare and seal tanks up to 100 litres in capacity.
During the restoration process, your fuel system will need close examination to ensure smooth motoring, once your project has been completed. Listed below are a series of simple steps to ensure your fuel tank is prepared.
Now that your tank has been prepared, it is ready for re-installation. Rare Parts carry a large range of quality aftermarket products including familiar brands such as Rare Spares
FUEL TANK RANGE
Our range includes;
- Fuel tanks
- Fuel tank covers
- Fuel sender units
- Fuel Sender seals
- Caulking compound
- Fuel caps, locking and non-locking
- Accelerator cables
- Coatings (Fuel tank repair kits)
Speak to our friendly staff, regarding your requirements today
- Place your car in a well-ventilated area, use safety glasses, protective clothing and gloves and ensure your space is clutter free. Another important consideration is other flammable substances – make sure they are removed from the area, in which you are removing your fuel tank
- Remove the metal straps, bolts and caulking compound from around the tank
- Remove fuel lines and sender units – add these essential items to your shopping list
- Drain the fuel tank – the tank will need to be suctioned. Drain the fuel into an appropriate container and ensure that it is disposed of correctly.
- Remove the tank from the vehicle
- We use and recommend PPC Co. Fuel Tank Repair Kits – the kit is designed to work as a system. The kit will clean, prepare and seal tanks up to 100 litres in capacity. The following products are included:
- Marine Clean – a effective cleaner that removes all traces of gum, varnish and sludge that has settled in your tank.
- Metal Ready – a rust remover and pre-primer. It leaves a coating of zinc phosphate on the inside of your fuel tank which ensures the sealer will be effective
- Fuel Tank Sealer – Leaves a hard, non-porous flexible film on the interior of your tank and will keep the moisture away by sealing the tank easily. It withstands fuels and additives including alcohol and ethanol.